Doctor of Philosophy / Doctor of Theology
Post GRADUATE (Research)
The Doctor of Philosophy degree (PhD) allows candidates whose academic background is in fields other than theology to pursue interdisciplinary study in Christian theology.
A PhD equips men and women as researchers in a broad range of fields of study related to the humanities and social sciences.
The Doctor of Theology degree (ThD) is BST’s premier theological qualification.
A ThD equips men and women as researchers in the theological sub-disciplines and provides the requisite qualification for a career in research or tertiary education.
To begin working towards the Doctor of Philosophy through BST you need to have a Master of Theology or an equivalent postgraduate theological qualification.
- MTh, OR
- BTh/BMin Hons, with at least 2A in dissertation, OR
- BTh or BMin with MA(Th/Min) 144 cps with RTP and an overall GPA≥3.0 and ≥Distinction in **796, OR
- BTh or BMin with GradDipTh/Min 108 cps with RTP and an overall GPA≥3.0 and ≥Distinction in **796, OR
- MDiv with MA(Th/Min) 96 cps with RTP and an overall GPA≥3.0 and ≥Distinction in **795 in FoR, OR
- MDiv with GPA≥2.0 and **795 in FoR with GradCertDiv 54 cps with RTP and ≥Distinction in **796, OR
- MDiv with GPA≥3.0 and ≥Distinction in **795 in FoR and RM09*, OR
- MA(ChrStuds) with GradCertDiv 54 cps with RTP and ≥Distinction in **796, OR
- MA(ChrStuds) with ≥Distinction in IN792 in FoR and RM09*
RTP = Research Training Pathway
FoR = Field of Research
If you are from a non-English speaking background the language requirements are: IELTS min 7.5 overall with a min 7.5 in reading and writing, 7.0 in listening and 6.5 in speaking.
For more information go to: ACT Website – PhD
To gain a Doctor of Philosophy degree you will be expected to submit a substantial thesis of 80-100,000 words (excluding bibliography) that makes a distinct contribution to theological scholarship. One of our lecturers will serve as your supervisor and you’ll need to work closely with them over a number of years. You must complete the qualification no more than six years after you begin.
To apply for a PhD please email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following:
- ACT number (if applicable)
- Transcripts from previous theological degrees
- Proposed field of research and topic
- Mode of study (Full-time or part-time)
$8,640 per semester for full-time (48 credit points)
This course is FEE-HELP approved.
What is FEE-HELP?
FEE-HELP is a loan that helps eligible fee paying students pay their tuition fees.
For eligibility and more information on FEE-HELP go to: