Master of Theological Studies
If you already have a theological degree but want to grow your professional and vocational expertise, the Master of Theological Studies will help you do that.
The new Master of Theological Studies is a program of coursework offered by the Australian College of Theology and the Master of Arts that it replaces. Students currently enrolled in the Master of Arts can complete their degree by taking these units for credit.
Master of Theological Studies units can also be audited. Auditing affords full participation in the intensive but entails no obligation to complete assessments.
A coursework Masters degree at AQF level 9 for professional practice and/or further study and scholarship, the Master of Theological Studies is designed to bring the development of ACT graduate attributes to an advanced level.
Its purpose is:
1) To provide students who are already graduates with the opportunity to undertake study in the disciplines by which knowledge of God is developed and articulated in the fields of:
- Bible & Languages (LA, OT, NT, BB)
- Christian Thought & History (TH, CH, PE)
2) through elective units:
- Further develop understanding in the Bible and Christian Thought & History; and/or
- Develop particular ministry skills in the three areas of the field of Ministry & Practice (EM, PC, DM)
The course will include an introduction to the research principles and methods applicable to the specialised study of the theological disciplines.
Academic Qualifications: Completed 3 year bachelor degree or equivalent
Language Qualifications for NESB: IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years in Australia with English being the language primarily spoken both at home and work
- Transformational Teaching, 24th-28th February 2020, Dr Jay Sedwick
- Reading Joshua Today, 30th March-3rd April 2020, Dr David Reimer (Online via Zoom)
- Reading Acts Today, 20th-24th July 2020, Dr Darrell Bock (Online via Zoom)
- The Theology of Jonathan Edwards, 17-21 August, Dr Oliver Crisp (Online via Zoom)
- Reading Ecclesiastes Today, 22-26 February 2021, Sam Goh
- Application in Preaching, 22-26 March 2021, Michael Raiter
- The Holy Spirit, 28 June-2 July, Graham Cole
- Graduates of an ACT BMin or BTh or equivalent are eligible to receive advanced standing for up to 60cps of Level 7 units in the course based on units completed in their previous degree, with the remainder of the course to be completed at Level 8-9.
- Graduates of an AQF level 8 or 9 award in Ministry or Theology are eligible to receive advanced standing for up to 96cps of Level 7 and Level 8 units in the course based on units completed in their previous degree, with the remainder of the course to be completed at Level 8-9.
- Maximum concurrent enrolment load: 60cps
- There is a pre-requisite for Level 9 units: 48cps Level 8
Discipline Knowledge and Understanding
1. Demonstrate up-to-date advanced knowledge and understanding of selected fields of Theological Studies, consisting of study within the broad fields of Christian Ministry and Practice; Christian Thought and History; and Bible and Languages.
2. Examine the biblical, theological and ministry foundations of Theological Studies
Inquiry and Analysis
3. Collect, analyse, evaluate and synthesise specialised Theological Studies scholarship in inquiry-based learning
Problem Solving and Integration
4. Construct evidence-based perspectives on specialised Theological Studies issues by using recognised source materials and scholarly literature, evaluating alternative explanations and drawing reasoned conclusions
5. Present specialised Theological Studies ideas, knowledge and principles to, and engage with, specialist and non-specialist audiences using a variety of formats
Teamwork and Professional Practice
6. As leader and in groups, apply specialised understanding of Theological Studies in formal ministry contexts and the wider community
Engagement with the World
7. Bring developing professional and vocational capacity to engagement with the challenges of contemporary Christianity, society and the wider world
Continuous Learning and Professional Development
8. Demonstrate a capacity for independent reflection and learning to sustain personal and professional development in Christian ministry
This course is FEE-HELP approved.
What is FEE-HELP?
FEE-HELP is a loan that helps eligible fee paying students pay their tuition fees.
For eligibility and more information on FEE-HELP go to: