fbpx

Being a servant of the passage

MA Expository Preaching intensive with Mike Raiter
Students in the Expository Preaching intensive with Mike Raiter.

Expository preaching is not always easy to get right. Yet when it’s done well there is a richness to this form of preaching that helps a speaker to unpack the truths in a passage of Scripture.  Mike Raiter, Director of the Centre for Biblical Preaching, imparted his decades of expertise and practical experience to our MA students at the Expository Preaching intensive from 13-17 July. The students did not come away disappointed. Here’s what some of them had to say.
“It was good to hear others preaching in class and to get constructive feedback from Mike. Overall I felt that the unit gave me so much insight into expository preaching and biblical theology.” John Kim, Master of Arts student.
“It was very stimulating, yet challenging. One major thing that I took away from the week is to be more of a servant of the passage and let that be the vehicle that drives illustrations and application; being able to serve the passage in a way that effectively delivers what the message is saying.” Liz Lush, Coordinator of Speaker Box, a ministry of City North Baptist Church.
“Mike is a high quality teacher and he is so passionate about expository preaching. I think that expository preaching can really help build up the church.” Jim Hill, visiting from St David’s Uniting Church, Coopers Plains.
“The intensive was brilliant. I was auditing and didn’t have the pressure to do the assessments so it was an enjoyable time to learn. Mike gave the students practical feedback and examples on how to apply passages, and be able to stick to the text.” Bruce Hayes, MDiv student.
“It’s changed my way of looking at the Bible and how to approach preaching. I’d love it if BST could have Mike back to teach Expository Preaching. I would sign up again!” Sun Soo Kim, MDiv student.
[banner text=”Events”]