Graduate Certificate of Christian Mentoring
In 2020, BST began offering a Christian Mentoring Program as a series of three units taught via collaborative online learning over three years. Each unit consists of three workshops. Together they build competence for Christian mentoring at an advanced level. By taking these three units within a Graduate Certificate of Christian Mentoring, Graduate Diploma of Divinity or Master of Theological Studies you will be qualified for mentoring in a variety of contexts. The principles apply in local and cross-cultural ministry settings, for helping men and women throughout their journeys as disciples.
What is Christian Mentoring?
Mentoring is an intentional interpersonal process in which one person equips and empowers another toward more effective ministry through sharing God-given encouragement, instruction and resources.
Aims of Christian Mentoring
Christian mentors aim to empower disciples for more effective ministry and personal spiritual growth through setting and moving toward clear mutually agreed objectives that arise from the mentoree’s life and ministry. Christian mentoring is statistically associated with disciples growing throughout a fruitful Christian life. It is a thoughtful way to encourage vital Christian individuals and ministry and faith communities.
A coursework certificate at AQF Level 8 supporting professional skills and practice and/or a further study and scholarship, the Graduate Certificate of Christian Mentoring is designed to enhance the Graduate Attributes with a special focus on knowledge skills and abilities in the one to one intentional ministry of Christian mentoring and with related knowledge in professional supervision and ministry coaching to an advanced level.
Its purpose is to provide advanced knowledge and skills for a professional ministry as a Christian mentor.
To be able to study the Graduate Certificate of Christian Mentoring at BST you need to have a 3 year bachelor degree or equivalent and completed at least 1 year of ministry or theology or divinity study at Level 5 or above.
If English is not your first language, you need to have taken the IELTS test with 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years in Australia with English being the language primarily spoken both at home and work
4 units | 48 credit points | 3 yrs PT | On-campus
Unit 1 – PC020-812: Christian Mentoring (semester 1, 2021)
Unit 2 – PC021-812: Mentoring Christian Leaders
Unit 3 – PC022-812: Professional Practice as a Christian Mentor
Unit 4 – Elective
Discipline Knowledge and Understanding
1. Demonstrate up-to-date advanced knowledge and understanding of ‘Christian Mentoring’ and the related fields of Professional Supervision and Ministry coaching.
2. Examine the biblical, theological and ministry foundations of Christian Mentoring and the related fields of Professional Supervision and Ministry coaching.
Inquiry and Analysis
3. Collect, analyse, evaluate and synthesize advanced scholarship in inquiry-based learning in Christian Mentoring and the related fields of Professional Supervision and Ministry coaching.
Problem Solving and Integration
4. Construct evidence-based perspectives on advanced issues in Christian Mentoring and the related fields of Professional Supervision and Ministry coaching by using recognized source materials and scholarly literature, evaluating alternative explanations and drawing reasoned conclusions.
5. Present advanced ideas, knowledge and principles in Christian Mentoring and the related fields of Professional Supervision and Ministry coaching and engage with, specialist and non-specialist audiences using a variety of formats.
Teamwork and Professional Practice
6. As a professional practitioner in Christian mentoring to apply advanced understanding of Christian Mentoring and the related fields of Professional Supervision and Ministry coaching in formal ministry contexts and the wider community.
Engagement With the World
7. Bring developing professional and vocational capacity in Christian Mentoring and utilising understanding of the related fields of Professional Supervision and Ministry coaching to support Christian disciples and leaders in their engagement with the challenges of contemporary Christianity, society and the wider world.
Continuous Learning and Professional Development
8. Demonstrate a capacity for independent reflection and learning to sustain personal and professional development in Christian Mentoring, and utilising understanding of the related fields of Professional Supervision and Ministry coaching.
This course is FEE-HELP and Centrelink approved.
What is FEE-HELP?
FEE-HELP is a loan that helps eligible fee paying students pay their tuition fees.
For eligibility and more information on FEE-HELP go to:
Rev Dr Peter Moore, Lecturer
A.Mus.A., LL.B (Hons), B.Th (Hons), Dip Arts (Theol), M.Th (Moore), PhD (Macquarie)
Peter has 25 years of experience in ‘professional’ pastoral ministry, including 20 in congregational leadership and 12 in theological education. His postgraduate research awards are in historical theology, and the history of preaching/Christian formation.
Peter currently mentors professionally 2-3 days per week, mentoring / supervising 30 pastors. Peter has been training mentors in 3 year non-accredited courses for John Mark Ministries since 2014. He is a member of the Australian Christian Mentoring Network.
Kylie Brown, Tutor
B OccThy, MDiv
Kylie has experience in a variety of ministry contexts both in volunteer and paid capacities. She has mentored women in the context of university ministry (AFES), church and theological study.
She is currently working as the Women’s Mentor at the Brisbane School of Theology.
As a former paediatric Occupational Therapist, current business owner, wife to Andrew (who is in full-time ministry) and Mum of school aged children, she brings rich life and ministry experience to her practice as a Christian mentor.
“Peter Moore has spent years honing the art of mentoring. He teaches out of the depths of countless hours mentoring Christian leaders. It’s been a privilege to learn from Peter’s tutelage, with a cohort of fellow trainees. I commend this course to Christian leaders wanting to pursue more intentional leadership development”.
FIEC National Director
Salt Community Church Pastor
Senior Staffworker AFES