fbpx

Alumna returns to teach at BST

Elizabeth Guntrip
Elizabeth Guntrip, BST Visiting Lecturer

My association with BST began in 1995 when it was still Bible College of Queensland and I completed a bridging course to gain entrance into the Master of Arts program.
Former Prophets was one of my subjects and I studied under Dr Ken Newton. I fell in love with 1st and 2nd Samuel during that course and hope that love will be communicated to the students I will teach at BST. I completed the MATh at the end of 1997 and later completed an MPhil centred on the topic of ‘Spiritual Warfare and Contemporary Pentecostal Hermeneutics’ under the title, The Apocalyptic Prince of Persia.
I am currently working towards a Doctor of Ministry and expecting to complete this by the end of 2015. The working title of my thesis is, The Rock Christian Fellowship, Kenya/Tanzania: An Emerging African Independent Church and its Search for Identity.  My time is consumed with my studies and preparing teaching material for overseas trips and BST lectures. Between times, I am a writer, quilter, grammar perfectionist and lapsed violinist. One of my favourite occupations these days is the role of a Religious Marriage Celebrant for African immigrants who now live in Brisbane!
My personal vision is to enthuse fellow believers with an understanding of and love for the word of God. At the same time I believe in the value of academic study as an aid to knowing and defending what we believe. I have been lecturing in Bible colleges since 1998, specialising in the Old Testament. Formerly, I taught at Garden City College of Ministries, Harvest Bible College and International Christian College while in Brisbane. I am an Ordained Minister with the Assemblies of God in Australia (Australian Christian Churches) and attend Hillsong Church at Mt Gravatt.
Since 2003 I have made multiple self-funded trips mainly to Pakistan, India and Africa (but also to a few other Asian countries) to pursue a ministry as a Bible educator. These trips, lasting up to six or eight weeks, include Bible college intensives, leadership seminars and preaching. The material is prepared with the specific audience in mind, sometimes illiterate people with no formal education in a variety of cultural and socio-economic situations.  I have a particular love for village ministry in Africa and holding Bible camps for believers with limited access to trained Bible teachers. I go with the full support and encouragement of my husband, a retired Inspector of Police.
We are also delighted to announce that BST graduate Ovi Buciu will be tutoring students completing Former Prophets (Hebrew exegesis).
[banner text=”Study at BST”]
[banner text=”Who is Ovi?”]