fbpx

Karen Nivala's journey to BST

Karen Nivala BST
Karen Nivala, BST student

It’s the start of a new year and this means we are welcoming new students to Bible college. One of our students, Karen Nivala, was recently featured in the Bible Society’s Eternity News February issue. Here’s a repost of Karen Nivala’s article in Eternity.
“In 2014 I worked full time as a speech pathologist with children with physical disabilities. In 2015 I plan to study full time at Brisbane School of Theology.
Between 2010 and 2014 I spent a total of nine months volunteering in a small village in rural Tanzania. It left me with a debt on my heart – I felt I needed to do more but I wasn’t sure how to do it. I starting looking at my options, including courses in international development, however I kept coming back to building on my faith. I want, God willing, to develop my understanding of God to learn how to better convey it to others. I’m not quite sure where it will lead but I know it’s a necessary step on the way there.
I have been nervous about a lot of things building up to this year including telling people who don’t understand, putting my speech pathology career on hold, and making sure the funds are there. But that nervousness has made me pray and my relationship with God is all the better for it. I’m most excited about learning, growing and being challenged in my faith. As I’ve been discussing my study plans, people have come out of the woodwork, sharing stories of their theological studies. They have this knowing look of excitement for me. I look forward to knowing more about what that means.”
[banner text=”Study the MDiv”]